Majority of us don’t know the features and Uses of F1-F12 keys on our keyboard. We all know common shortcuts like CTRL+C, CTRL+V and CTRL+X for copy, paste and cut. But you may not know what F1-F12 keys actually do and when to use them. You will see common features and uses of F1-F12 keys.
USES OF F1-F12 KEYS IN WINDOWS
- F1 key is used for “HELP” .If you use windows OS and want help anywhere then press F1 key, this will open up help window.
- Sometimes F1 key is used to enter in BIOS, press F1 when your computer is about to boot.
- Win+F1 keys combination will open the “Windows Help and Support.
- Quickly rename the chosen file or folder.
- Frequently to enter the BIOS.
- Ctrl + F2 open the preview windows in Microsoft word.
- In windows renames a highlighted icon, file, or folder in all versions of windows.
- Alt + Ctrl + F2 open the document as a Microsoft word.
- Open mission control on an Apple pc running Mac OS X.
- Windows key + F3 advanced search windows open in Microsoft outlook.
- In MS-DOS or Windows command line F3 will repeat the last command.
- Shift + F3 will change the content in Microsoft word, upper to lower or Capital letters.
- Opens a search feature for many programs including windows when ate desktop.
- Repeats the last activity performed (MS Word)
- Ctrl + F4 Closes the present window within the current active window in Microsoft windows.
- Open find windows in windows 95 to XP
- Alt + F4 Closes the program window currently active in Microsoft windows.
- Pressing F5 in latest browsers will refresh or reload the page.
- Refresh the list of contents in a folder.
- Starts a slideshow in PowerPoint.
- Ctrl + F5 forces a complete refresh of the web page, clearing all cache and downloading all content again.
- Reduces laptop speaker volume in some laptops.
- Ctrl + Shift+ F6 opens another Microsoft word document.
- Move the cursor to the address bar in IE, MF and most latest browser.
- Mostly used for spelling and Grammer check in document in Microsoft programs such as Microsoft word, outlook, etc.
- Turns on caret browsing in Mozilla Firefox.
- Increase laptop speaker volume in some laptops
- Pressing F8 key while your Computer is about to boot will result into booting our pc in safe mode.
- Used by some pc to access the windows recovery system, but this process requires a windows installation CD.
- Displays a thumbnail image for workspaces in Mac OS.
- Reduce screen brightness in some laptops.
- Send and receive e-mail in MS outlook.
- Using the Fn key and F9 at the same time opens mission control in Apple computers running Mac OS
- Enter BIOS on some computers.
- Shift + F10 works same as right click.
- Access the hidden recovery partition on Sony and hp computers.
- Increase screen brightness in some laptops.
- Enter and Exit full screen mode in all latest Web browsers.
- Ctrl + F11 shows the hidden recovery partition in Dell Computers.
- In Mac OS 10.4 or later, Hides all open windows and shows the Deskop.
- Open the save as window in MS word.
- Ctrl + Shift + F12 prints a document in MS word.
- F12 key will open up inspect element box in web browser.
- Shift + F12 save the MS word document.
- Access the list of bootable device on a pc at startup.
- With Apple computer running 10.4 or later, F12 shows or hides the Dashboard.
If your laptop o computers keyboard does not have a row of F keys, they are set as secondary function on other keys, some laptops are set like to save space.
If you know any more of uses of F keys then add to this article by commenting below.