In this article I will show you how to create bootable disc or USB stick and installation of Kali Linux on your PC. Kali Linux is a Debian-derived Linux distribution designed for digital forensics and penetration testing, It is maintained and funded by Offensive security. Kali Linux has over 100 well-known security tools, Kali Linux is one of the best Linux distributions available for security testing. Linux can run natively when installed on a computer’s hard disk, can be booted from a CD or USB, or it can be used using virtual machine.
Kali Linux requires a minimum of 20GB hard disk space for installation.
A minimum of 1GB ram for i386 and AMD64 architectures. (but i personally recommend at least you must have 2 GB ram for Kali Linux in hard disk installation or if you are going to use it in virtual machine then u must have at least 4GB ram in your PC).
A bootable CD-DVD drive or a USB stick.
CREATING A BOOTABLE CD OR USB STICK
we are going to use POWER ISO software for creating a bootable CD or USB, i have already made an article on HOW TO CREATE BOOTABLE USB DRIVE USING POWER ISO
I recommend to use USB drive for installing any OS on a computer or else you can even use CD/DVD, In case if you don’t know how to create a bootable USB drive then refer the above article. I have made an article you can search in my website, or you can see video tutorials on YouTube.
You can download the latest Kali Linux OS from its own website or click here.
INSTALLATION OF KALI LINUX
- Connect our USB drive which is loaded with Kali Linux and proceed to boot menu, then select your USB drive. After Booting to the USB drive, you will see a screen which have many options then proceed with ‘Graphical install’ option.
- After that you have to select language, country, and keyboard layout. Then you have to enter host name and domain provide appropriate information and continue installation.
- After setting up the host name and domain name, then you have to set up password, then you have to set time zone data.
- Then disk partitioning, if you are going to use only Kali in your PC then easiest option is to use ‘Guided – Use Entire Disk’ and then select storage device where you want to install Kali.
- Then select ‘ All files in one partition (recommended for new users)’.
- The final step is to check and confirm all changes to be made to the disk on the host machine, after continuing all data will be erased in your hard disk.
- After following all the steps, the installer will run through the process of installing the files. Once it is completed the system will setup a network mirror to obtain future pieces of software and updates, Be sure to enable this functionality if you wish to use the Kali repositories.
- After that, the system will ask to install GRUB. This is to test that Kali is to be the only operating system on this computer, select yes on the screen and it will allow the user to pick the device to write the necessary boot loader information to the hard disk to boot Kali.
- Once the setup finishes installing GRUB to the disk, it will alert the user to reboot the machine to boot the fresh installed Kali machine.
That’s all you have installed a fresh copy of Kali Linux on your computer and ready to be used. 🙂